Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Need for Warmth

I do not do very well in cold weather, it brings aches and sickness. When the dying seasons (Fall & Winter) approach, I want to escape the North like the birds and fly South.  . . . and in truth, I would never fly back North, making a permanent home in the warmer Southern parts of our country right along the Ocean .  . .  or anywhere .  . . in the World . . . would be fine.

Since living in Paradise, sipping on non-alcoholic Pina Coladas or fresh coconut water, swimming in clear blue-green water, riding the waves is not my current reality, I must find ways to cope with my situation.
When warmth is not found outside, then we must create warmth inside our homes, our kitchen, our bodies. . .
Reminiscing of Paradise in the Dominican Republic.
I am extremely sensitive, many times I know it's cold outside even before I step outside and it is not due to poor insulation. It is also not just a physical feeling, cold weather also bring on an emotional feeling: depression. It must be something instinctual like the birds knowing to fly South for the winter because seasonal change is not the only celestial change I experience. I also have very strong feelings around the time when Fajr approaches and with the rising of the sun, as well as fainter feelings at the other time of prayers. Again it must be instinctual, like the birds who start singing at the rising of the sun. Sensitive emotionally, sensitive spiritually and sensitive physically can be like a double whammy if we do not build up a fortress to protect ourselves.

My fortress to build up my immune system consist of  a wonderful Chinese Tea that I discovered in Chinatown in California. I used to live in the California Bay Area for many, many years. I went to Galileo and Wallenberg High School in San Francisco and California State University, Hayward. I shopped Chinatown in both Oakland and San Francisco rather frequently. I was happy to find out that my Beloved Chinese Herbal teas are sold on Amazon. It works wonders on decongestion.
In this picture is the Chinese Herbal Tea and Hibiscus Ice Tea ~ my favorite teas

Last year, I discovered the American herbalist Rosemary Gladstar and her wonderful Fire Tonic. It is an amazing healing anti-microbial, decongestant, circulatory mover to help boost the immune system and stimulate digestion. It is made with horseradish, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, turmeric, onion, hot peppers, and much more (or less). Watch the youtube video, Rosemary is a beautiful soul and can explain Fire Tonic much better than I can.


With both of these remedies, I recite al-Fatihah over my drinks- the opening chapter of the Quran. It is a healing beyond and greater than any other healing.

In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful
All praise is for God alone, Lord of All the Worlds
The Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful
Master of the Day of Judgement
It is You alone we worship, and it is You alone we ask for help.
Guide us along the straight way
The way upon those You have bestowed Your grace
Not those upon whom there is wrath or who have been led astray

Baking provides a physical warmth and is an emotional happiness booster. Joy with children, giving to neighbors, and building relationships. Azara and I baked apple & sweet potato pies.




We also have been making lentil soup and chicken pot pies.




and then there is always the clean up from all that baking.


In anticipation for Spring and warmth to return, it has become a tradition to plant tulips in the Fall.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments inspire me!

Blogging tips