Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Reviving The Remembrance Retreat ~ al Maqasid



We just came back from a wonderful retreat, Reviving the Remembrance Retreat held by al-Maqasid  a non-profit organization. All of my Beloveds including myself are having withdrawals for so many reasons, the companionship, the classes, the Scholars, the beautiful environment, the communal living. . .

I am far from perfect, although my name Kamilah means perfection. In truth, I have so many faults that I need to work on. Reviving the Remembrance Retreat (RRR) from the very beginning even before driving up to RRR was a continued process of acknowledging my faults and working through them. I feel so much lighter and healthier from the whole process, and isn't that what a retreat is supposed to do ~ heal you ~


I also feel tired, a good tired: a hard working- great accomplishment type of tired, but tired nevertheless ... I came to RRR as a volunteer and left a servant... not to be mistaken as a slave, but a Servant of Allah (the one and only God), inshaAllah.



I wrote on facebook before I left that I had some anxiety about attending the RRR, I was fearful of some of the attendees who had shown themselves to have personalities that disagree with my spirit. I was fearful that I would be surrounded by people who are users, takers, opportunistic people who are only out to get what they want not caring about who they step on to get it. In the past I would see an opportunistic person coming from a mile away and just turn around. But this time I tried something different, I prayed for protection from anyone who wants to harm me, my family, or my relationships and gave 150% to everyone. At any Muslim event, you will find people who only seek out the doctors or engineers to pour their attention into, most will seek out people who are the same race or have the same culture or language, others will seek people who have the same educational background, while others will try to only serve and adore the Scholars, but this trip I purposely sought out to serve everyone. I wanted to put my fear in check, by doing the exact opposite- I gave and gave and gave until I was physically tired... at the end of the retreat I just had to turn down some request because I was too tired to take another step. It didn't matter what their status was, who was giving the most donation, or who was just a kind person, it could be even someone who had been unkind to me, I would go up to everyone and ask if there was something they needed, give Salaams, give hugs, help with luggage, watch a child, resolve an issue, assist the director, run an errand, offer them a ride, even give up my opportunity to have a private family cabin... my aim was to fight my lower desires (nafs), my aim was to perfect my soul, to attain a portion of my name ~Kamilah

. . . but something happened that I wasn't quite prepared for: the more I gave, the more I received. I received love and help from places that I never anticipated. Aunties (an elder from the community, doesn't have to be related, as I have no Muslim kin) who would come to me with gifts for my children and hugs of appreciation. I received an intense amount of love and concern from my friends.

~The breaking of the nafs is an emotional experience in and of itself, look at any child who throws a temper tantrum when you tell them "no". Therefore, I was already emotional from telling my nafs "NO".

Photo by Ahmed Zaman
Coupled by the emotions that come from Remembering Allah and hearing the versus of the Quran.
I was also crying from other personal matters, like the disconnect I have with my own mother who cancelled visiting with us after RRR was over. Being an only child and moving around the US alot as a child and adult, I often feel very lonely, never really fitting in anywhere... some of that loneliness started to creep in at RRR. However, my friends, aunties, and kindred spirits at the retreat wouldn't let it. I received so much love, it was honestly awkward at first, but names like umm Fatimah, Yahya, Darab, Keisha, Yaty, Shona, Rukayat, Adil, Hassan and Whittni will forever roll off my tongue in a dua (prayer)



The Facility

I knew before we even reached the actual retreat site that I was going to love it. My Beloved eldest daughter Big A had read Burning Boats to us for 3 hours straight on our ride up to the Poconos Mountains in Pennsylvania from Maryland.


We did not need to put on a DVD or even play a book on tape, Big A provided us with all the entertainment we needed. Right up until the views became breath taking, and the Majesty of the mountains kept us content after that.
Photo by Salman Seyal
As we increased elevation the humidity left and the air became clean and crisp.


We arrived at the facility a day earlier than most of RRR's participants for set up, which turned out to be a wonderful plan. It allowed my Beloveds to explore the entire facility. What a Grande facility it was: complete with a farm, garden, beautiful gymnasium, basketball courts, baseball & softball diamonds, indoor roller rink, cabins, cafeteria, swimming pool, archery range, high ropes course, zip line and so much more.
Rock Climbing by Salman Seyal
The children that were there the first day almost had too much freedom as one of them accidentally let out a miniature horse from his gated home. They tried with no success to get the stubborn horse back into the horse pen, he would neigh at them and buck them, then they even tried to give the horse Salaams (a peaceful greeting). S Man knows I love animals and has seen me work with them, so when he fetched me I was able to return the horse to the pen in a few seconds. They also had chickens that foraged the forest all day, they were all black just like our chicken which we call "Moon".



The facility was lovelier than I can even describe, the only downfall were the cabins at night. They were not insulated and it was freezing at night, literally with temperatures in the low 30's. None of us were prepared for this weather, which produced trips to the store for warmer clothing and an extra order of blankets. SubhanAllah, even this minor hardship of receiving knowledge contains much blessing in it. ♥  Shaykh Jihad Brown reminded us that this hardship is nothing compared to what many of our Scholars experienced overseas. The hardship the Scholars experienced was so that we in the US can benefit in comfort and sometimes luxury.


Camelot














I was born in Washington DC, but at the age of 6, my mother picked up and moved the both of us to California. Many people will ask me where am I from, because they think I am Somalian, Ethiopian, or Mixed Race- Chinese & Black, some are curious where I am from because my accent is unfamiliar. When this question arises, my response is usually California. It is not because California is a popular place that many would claim, it is because of all the many places that I have lived, California is where I was the longest and has shaped a good deal of my culture for better or for worse.



Camelot- a "New Age" religious community that once sat in the Malibu hills was my first home in California and has shaped many of the paths that I have taken in my life. Even the path that led me to Islam. Camelot was my first introduction to the Montessori Method, where I attended an on campus Montessori School for 3 years.



Camelot was mystical, adventurous, majestic and for a six year old girl, it was almost perfect, except that it is was the reason that I no longer could see my dad, grandparents, cousins and other family members often whom I left behind in Maryland. It was also very lonely being the only little black girl at Camelot, but I will save that for a different story. Camelot was bigger and more real than King Arthur and Guinevere, Merlin's entices was no match for what any of us at Camelot experienced. I spent my Camelot days hiking up "Ascension" mountain looking for the goats that lived there, climbing Pomegranate trees and eating the fruit right there up in the tree, helping out in the farm that had sheep where the wool was used for knitting, riding my bike down dirt pathways on this amazing 218 acre property, and catching a bareback ride on Moira's (Religious leader's daughter) horse which of course is the best way to ride a horse! Even our Montessori school experience was spent outdoors, we had a tree fort, our art lessons were done at swan lake name after the two white swans that inhabited it, and some of our other classes incorporated Green classroom techniques in the late 70's way before LEED certification. While other children outside of Camelot were learning MJ's Thriller dance moves, we were learning the foxtrot and the waltz where many of our nights were filled with pretty lights, fine eating, classical music, playing and of course dancing. No alcohol was served at these dances, because it was one of the many restrictions of being at Camelot. No alcohol, no cigarettes, no drugs, nor pork, no music except for Classical Beethoven, Mozart, etc., no bad language, no white refined sugar, no chocolate (only carob), no R-rated movies or television that wasn't approved were some of the beginning restrictions.



And if Camelot was not enough, with it's beautiful California weather and facilities, Malibu beach was less than 30 minutes away. More than Camelot, I fell in love with the Pacific Ocean and I still love Malibu beach for the sand and surf.


Camelot was more than a huge playground for me, it was a community. The cafeteria served three meals a day-every day- with fresh goat's milk, yogurt bar, salad bar, soup bar and wholesome "organic" meals like Shepherd's Pie and Quiche. Summit University that my mother attended had students from all over the US and world. I already mentioned that Camelot had a Montessori School that served children from infants to highschool. A self-sustaining farm was trying to be established. A bookstore and other stores were also on Camelot. Holidays, like All Hallow's Eve because we did not celebrate Halloween or anything satanic, involved the whole community. Instead of trick or treating, we went to different game booths situated over acres of land where we played games to earn candy or treats, like bobbing for apples and balloon pop. The game booths were run by members we were used to greeting everyday, like the bookstore worker or the cafeteria worker, they knew us children by name, they were the parents of my friends or my mother's co-workers. Camelot all abruptly came to an end, (history of Camelot/Gillette Ranch) when the corrupt leadership sold the property and moved the Church or Cult to Montana, it was a devastating blow for many, some refusing to leave. For me, Camelot had marked my soul, I still long for the community life. I raise my children in a simple media-restricted-nature-filled environment. I recreate some of the same foods. The late night Thikr sessions I currently do resembles the late night "I am" sessions at Camelot. I studied and teach Montessori  to my Beloveds and I never believed that God, the Creator of the All Things was a man.


Community Life


Big A said being at al-Maqasid's RRR was like living in the Anne of Green Gables book. Big A's friends would come to our cabin looking for her, they would walk with her to lunch and to class, they would share jokes, and play games. She went zip lining with her best friends there. There was so much fun to be had at the RRR, and it was always done with friends. She says the bond was deeper than friendship, it was like the love of a sibling. It was true sisterhood/brotherhood. Big A had experienced a taste of community life.
Photo by Nadia el-Khatib
There was a playground right outside of my cabin and Lil A always had a friend there to play with. I could be inside the cabin cleaning up and still hear her outside playing. Lil A also really liked sharing the cabin with one of her friends, although they did not play too much in the cabin, Lil A just like knowing she was around. Lil A would rather be outside than inside, however when she went to class - she enjoyed it! She loved her teachers and says she misses them.


The boys loved riding on the golf carts which I spent alot of time driving. In fact that was all of the boys favorite past time, they would try to hitch a ride whenever a golf cart would pass by. They also like hanging out at the canteen that had arcade type games with their friends.

Photo by Ameera Rahim
Photo by Ameera Rahim
I asked S Man could you live at RRR for another week, he replied in the affirmative, could you live there for a month, again he replied in the affirmative, could you live there for a year, YES!



Although, I drove the golf cart around alot, when I had the rare pleasure of walking hand-in-hand down a road with humble dad - giving Salaams to a passerby, it would make my heart jump. It was great seeing the same people all day at fajr, breakfast, classes, dhur, lunch, in the office, at an activity, more classes, dinner, maghrib, evening lecture, thikr, isha, . . . It was great breaking bread with the same people, that you would pray next to, that you would walk with, that you would cry with, that you would laugh with, that you worked along side of, that you would help, that you would serve. .  . it was great living and loving in a community- even if it was for one week.
Photo by Ahmed Zaman

The Dream
About 8 months prior to RRR, Humble Dad had a dream of taking a class with Shaykh Yahya Rhodus in a barn. Let me tell you my husband is not the really mystical type~ you know the let's find the deeper meaning in our dreams type of person. So it really took him by alarm that he would have a dream of taking classes in a Barn!! He just thought it was a really weird dream, so he didn't think much of it.
Photo by Nadia El-Khatib
Then the talented Nadiya K started setting up the Scholar's platform at RRR and the dream came flooding back to him~ dejavu . . . here he was at the RRR taking classes with Shaykh Yahya Rhodus in a barn.
Photo by Abbas Wiswall

The Scholars
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
My first contact with Shaykh Yahya Rhodus was at a weekend class held by the Knoxville Muslim Community then again at the Seekers Guidance Retreat in 2010. He was a young scholar whose speaking style resembled Shaykh Hamza Yusuf. He was very humble and down to earth, I loved how he would thoughtfully answer questions. He didn't have the arrogance typical of many Californians, he was quite a simple guy and I immediately was taken in. One night at the 2010 Retreat my husband was struggling to get our two sleeping boys in the car to drive them back up to our cabin, Yahya asked if he could help humble dad with one of them, then Yahya picked up Z Man and carried him to the car. (Allah is Just and Merciful, because He put me in the same position at RRR to pay Yahya and his family back for the kindness he showed 3 years earlier. One night at the RRR, Yahya's son fell asleep at the late night session and I was able to pick him up and drive him and his mother up to their cabin.)

Photo sent by the thoughtful human being we call Sidi Yahya
of my Beloved Boys during the late night session.
Although, I would take some of Yahya's online classes, I wasn't able to see him again until 2012, and there was definitely something different about him. Too shy to ever just approach Yahya, I would ask humble dad if he noticed anything different about the way Yahya would treat him. This was very important to me because I wanted to know if he was the same kind-hearted and thoughtful Yahya.



I received my answer at this RRR, he is indeed the same Yahya. One's actions to me means more than anything that someone can verbalize, how can a Scholar teach purification of the heart, when their heart is deeply stained. How can they teach about marriage or women's issues, when they are oppressive to their wife? How can they teach about adab, when they walk around arrogant and self-centered? A Scholar who reaches my heart through their actions, has a student who will follow faithfully. Shaykh Yahya Rhodus is such a Scholar. May Allah protect him and his family.

Photo by Ahmed Zaman
Anse Tamara Gray was an answer to a prayer. I never met her before or even really heard of her. However, I enjoyed every minute of my time with her. Many American women who embrace Islam come from a very Liberal feminist mindset. I am not sure how Anse Tamara used to be, here and now after studying in Syria for over 30 years, she is not the typical American Muslim women yet her focus is on us typical American converts. She will not give you the watered down-hippie version of Islam, what she will give you is the women's perspective that is so desperately needed. There were many key points that she gave, the one that stood out the most is as Muslim women we need to spend an hour a week learning Islam and one hour a week giving back to our community at minimal. This hour should be exclusive of our own children, so Girl Scouts for our daughters troop does not count. However, watching our friend's child so that she can take an Islamic course and our children are at home also would count. Because the intention is to exclusively help someone outside of our family. She talked about us as women being more accountable and to own our strengths, she showed us by the examples of the women in the Quran.

Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Anse Tamara talked about being a mother, wife, teacher, she was able to give us true insight of the roles of a Muslim women because she is a Muslim women. I was so inspired that I  registered for her online class, if you are interested in learning more visit Rabata.org

Picture by Raja Sohail Abbas
Shaykh Jihad Brown, I can not write too much about him because I only sat in brief periods of his class. Like everyone else I am waiting for the DVD of RRR to be released. Although, humble dad was highly impressed with him. Humble Dad believes there is a big difference from Scholars who have studied for 20 or more years like Nuh Keller, Anse Tamara, Jihad Brown and those who only spent 4- 7 years.
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Humble dad kept talking about Jihad's Aqidah class and how good it was. I personally look forward to driving up to New Jersey to spend more time with his wife, daughter, & mother-in-law. If you are in the Trenton, NJ Shaykh Jihad Brown will have an Aqeedah class starting up soon.

Photo by Raja Sohail Abbas
Shaykh Muhammad Mendes did a very good meditation class that everybody seemed to love. I actually was able to sit through a full class of his and it moved me: great energy. I personally liked what he would say in the late night sessions. One session in particular stood out in my mind. He was talking about brotherhood, and Muhammad said "if we treated everyone we meet the same way we treated our Scholars, we would have such greatness in our Islam. What is missing is the love. Imagine what our brotherhood/sisterhood would look like if we gave the same love that we give our Scholars ~ that love to everyone." I can imagine something beautiful, mashaAllah, no one will ever feel lonely or unloved. I imagine every Masjid we walked in would echo with Salaams.

Photo by Ahmed Zaman
What is beautiful about Shaykh Muhammad is he includes a perspective that is clearly African, that is usually excluded from the Islamic conversation. He does it without excluding any other Muslim groups from the conversation which sometimes happens by African-American Muslim leaders who have been hurt by other Muslim communities. This has been my personal issue with Islam since first becoming Muslim. I want an Islam that actualizes Prophet Muhammad's (last sermon or Khutbatal Wada:

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black, nor a black has any superiority over a white- except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim, which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not therefore, do injustice to yourselves.

Our experience has been in the 15 years that we have been married and I have been Muslim, certain people will flock to my husband due to the fact that he is white, or flock to Big A because she is lighter than my other children, while ignoring S Man, Z Man, Lil A and I. They will make comments of disbelief that I am Big A's mother or that her siblings are her real siblings. Some will say nasty things in Urdu or Arabic behind our backs. Some children will mock us for not being able to speak Arabic. Some may be polite enough to give Salaams, but never will invite us to anything yet quick to invite my white American Muslim friends. They will make excuses why they exclude people, saying there is not enough room. Even at the RRR, some were trying to have an exclusive class with Shaykh Muhammad. This irony was so apparent after Shaykh Muhammad repeatedly talked about being inclusive in his lectures at RRR, and then only by the Grace of Allah the weather did not cooperate. My chocolate brown children and I are not the only ones that have been made to feel excluded, when attending African American Masjids, Humble dad has been on the receiving end of this bigotry. The worse thing he was told by an Imam is "you are a blond hair, blue eyed, fill in the blank" (devil) More recently, at the Eid, he was misunderstood due to preconceived biases African American Muslim have held onto. My eldest son who was voted President of his Senior class in a predominantly white high school, says the worse prejudice (racism, a sense of entitlement, cultural biases) he has experienced has been among the Muslims.

Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Our religion- Islam in it's very essence is inclusive and it is the reason it was able to spread throughout the world yet we continue to exclude each other, not just based on race or skin color, but on economics, culture, language, madhab, aqidah, zaytuna, al maghrib, separating ourselves into cliques that resemble our immature highschool days. .  . . MashaAllah, al Maqasid's RRR attempted to be a very inclusive inviting Muslims of all nationalities and economic backgrounds. Including inviting non-Muslims to the retreat, two of them took their Shahadah (declaration of Faith:Islam).

Photo by Khuram Zaman
The representation was a beautiful mixed of colors, ideologies, and economic status. Many of the women expressed how much Sisterhood they felt among other women whom normally would not talk them. It was not perfect,  but inshaAllah with strong voices and visions of Scholars like Shaykh Muhammad Mendes and Shaykh Yahya Rhodus the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)'s Khutbatal Wada will be realized.

Photo by Raja Sohail Abbas
Imam Tahir Anwar is a very funny man. This is what made the retreat so special, it allowed people to let their turbans (hair) down. It gave everyone who was open to it, Scholars and students alike, the opportunity to just be themselves.

Photo by Abbas Wiswall
I think Imam Tahir took advantage of this free & open environment more than the other Scholars and really gave of himself to the youth.

Imam Tahir Class on Chivalry photo by Raja Sohail Abbas
My children loved Imam Tahir's stories. And he in returned loved my boys, Imam Tahir told me how much he appreciated Z Man and S Man.

Imam Tahir making the final dua. Photo by Khuram Zaman
I was very happy to know that my boys were having a positive affect on people when humble dad and I were not around. The youth director also particularly mentioned Z Man on several occasions and his love for the late night praise of Allah and his Messenger (May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him.) Z Man would push some of the adults out of the way to be near Nader Khan, then sing with all his heart.



Of all the things my children could be singing, I am so happy that Remembrance of Allah and the Mawlid are what they choose to sing.

Humble Dad's Friend in the youtube below has an amazing voice, MashaAllah.   Photo by Abbas Wiswall


They even write and sing their own Islamic songs, then teach them to their siblings and friends, because their exposure to worldly music is restricted, they really think they are COOL singing their Nasheeds. MashaAllah, they are the Cool-ness of my eyes.


Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Nader Khan and family are truly beautiful people, MashaAllah, and also are very funny! If you are not hip to Nader, you can find him on Seekers Hub youtube channel and Amazon. Nader's daughter quickly became one of Big A's dearest friend.

Photo by Abbas Wiswal
Although, Nader wasn't there as a "Scholar", he was a teacher. He did a very enjoyable song writing workshop with the youth.

Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Nader's wife Dr. Bano is also a scholar in her own right and answers some of the questions for Seekers Guidance.
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Maulana Abdur Rahman Ahmed and Ustadha Nadia Salma are very beautiful people, MashaAllah. I did not get to sit on any of their classes, however I sat in on a Sister's only Q&A session with the Scholars and Maulana Abdur Rahman answers impressed me the most. He is very thoughtful and knowledgeable. I also look forward to going up to New Jersey and visiting this family in their Masjid.

Photo by Ahmed Zaman

The Volunteers
Photo by Salman Seyal
 Being a volunteer, I saw first hand some of the sacrifices that are made for the benefit of others. The volunteers who I believed sacrificed the most are the one who worked with our children. They watched our children, kept them entertained, planned out lessons, all so that the parents could focus on the classes. I am not sure if we gave these volunteers enough credit.



No television or movies were used to babysit the children at RRR. The children were given real adult attention 100% of the time, which is truly unique. I was sad to hear more complaints than compliments which is a disease of our society, we don't value our teachers and childcare providers enough. May Allah reward the volunteers that worked with our children and may they receive the benefit of someone who allowed others to gain knowledge.





My Journey
I thought my longing for community was unique because of my Camelot experience. However, the more that I talk to people,  I find many people who share this vision and if we can obtain it for a week at places like RRR, then we can work to establish it for generations.



The Tassawuf of the Amish, my previous blog post was part of my journey to understand people who could stay peaceful, committed to their deen, and still live within the greater society where they had more influence on their town than the town has upon them.



Another part of my journey was our family trips to Serenbe a beautiful 1000 acre community in Georgia. Serenbe is a national model for future developments in the US focusing on land preservation, green building, energy efficient, walkability and much more. The founders of Serenbe were not monks, but the owners of a profitable Restaurant chain and Furniture store, they still worked among the greater society, but choose to live among people who valued the earth and preservation. Serenbe has a Montessori School, a Bed & Breakfast, a Farmer's Market, a couple of Restaurants and Art Studios among other businesses to attract more people to their community.

My journey continues here in Maryland, where we take camping trips and establish monthly gatherings where we continue to grow and work together as brothers and sisters in Islam.

Photo by Khuram Zaman

When I first became Muslim I used to doodle in a book, I drew plans for my ideal community. In those plans I ran a cafe and humble dad ran a bookstore. Ironically, humble dad was placed in charge of the bookstore at RRR. Although, I did not run a cafe, my main focus at RRR was hospitality and I found out that I was good at catering to people.



My friend Hina Mukhtar commented on a picture of our home in Georgia that it looks like a perfect Bed & Breakfast. After the RRR, it made me realize running a Bed & Breakfast that catered to Scholars and their students might be the Divine showing me the way to start such a community that I have envisioned for a long time.

Summary
It was amazing coming to a place where hearts were connected. The love that grew between myself and my friends was pure and genuine.



 The love that grew between my children and their friends was pure and genuine.
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Moreover, the love that grew between Humble dad and his friends was pure and genuine.
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
al Maqasid's Reviving the Remembrance Retreat was diverse, it was unique, it had variety of classes for the advance student and the novice, it was inclusive, it gave us a vision of how life could be if we had Scholars around us who reminded us of the love we should have for our Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam and His Sunnah.



Coupled by students who are committed to implementing this love of the Sunnah, who are no longer satisfied with just talking the talk, but want to commit their lives to walking the walk. A group of people who want to spread the love of Islam to everyone they meet, who want to foster true brotherhood and sisterhood that is built on "piety and good action."

Photo by Abbas Wiswall





*Most of these photos were not taken by me and offered generously by my wonderful friends for use in this blog. Please do not use any of these pictures without their permission. Here are some more photos by the talented young man: Abbas Wiswall.
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall

Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall
Photo by Abbas Wiswall

5 comments :

  1. :) Masha'Allah, thank you for writing this post, I shared it with my friends and family who were asking about the retreat! Thank you for all your hard work and beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MashaAllah, Thank you for reading it and sharing it. I really appreciate your husband and your work with the youth, especially Big A. May Allah reward you immensely. I hope to see you and your beautiful daughter soon.

      Delete
  2. Sr. Kamilah, I love you dearly. It was an honor volunteering, working, and serving with you...through the blood, sweat, and tears. Jazaki Allahu khair for this beautiful post. It makes me smile to think that we had a role to play in your dreams and future goals...You and your husband were literally running a B&B and Bookstore at the retreat--do you remember all the towels and blankets and check-ins you did with everyone? (I'm sure that's impossible to forget!;P ) And you will always have a home for your B3 team with Al Maqasid...we've laid the foundations, now let's get to building!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AS Salamu 'Alaykum dear Sister Kamilah!! We miss you guys! The kids still remember their great friend and mentor, Asha. How are the twins doing? I just got settled so forgive the lack of correspondence. Your blog is just amazing! I can tell you put your heart into it and it definitely shows. I loved reading this one in particular because I could connect. Insha'Allah we will have our own khidma team again this summer. Until then keep us in your blessed duaas.

    Hugs to the kids from my three:)

    umm fatima

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great post, what you said is really helpful to me. I agree with you anymore. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. Thank you for sharing such a useful post.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me!

Blogging tips