Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Day in Philly

My Beloved Big A wants to learn how to sew, so a friend of mine has said she would help teach her. We headed to Philly to buy material, the fabric store we were headed to had great prices, however, the price of gas did not make it economically worth it. The worth was found in some of the other reasons I wanted to go. It was just a girls day trip, with my friend and my daughter. My friend is about the same age as my mother and she had some very interesting stories of the Muslim movements of the 70's & 80's in Philadelphia from the Dar ul Islam to Shaykh Gilani to Quba  to the Bawa Muhaiyaddeen community, so it was history lesson. Big A was so interested, she was thinking about doing a newspaper report on her for Journalism class. It was about being a foodie, a desire to eat a real Philly Halal Cheesesteak.  Lastly, it was about getting some Islamic products you can not find in Baltimore, like Pink Nail Henna.





Muslim Girl painted on wall in Germantown







 Masjid Mujahideen across the street from the CHEESESTEAK



Yes, this Philly Cheesesteak was good! It was long and it was cheap! Then to wash it down with an Akbar Juice, with real fruit floating around in it, yes I was in Foodie heaven. . . To top it off this Muslim establishment is clean, even the bathrooms, nicely decorated and I believe the young man that served me and cooked my food was the owner's son. He and his mother gave great customer service! If in Philly, this is a must stop. . .




One place I did not take pictures of was the Islamic store- Tooba that I bought hijabs, a jilbab, a thobe for my husband, shea butter, and yes Hot Pink Nail Henna. The address is 5207 Walnut Street. The 5200 block of Chestnut also have some good shopping. This whole area has Muslim stores and vendors who still sale on the sidewalk.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments inspire me!

Blogging tips