Friday, October 26, 2012

Mother-Daughter Eid

My wonderful husband, the great humble dad bought me and Big A matching Eid outfits. Although a very thoughtful surprise, my picky taste was baffled on what I should do for a hijab or head scarf. And my busy, 100 things in the oven self waited to the day before Eid to do anything about it. So off to JoAnns at 6pm the night before Eid to find some fabric. I like to dress up and look beautiful, I just don't like to shop and truth be told I don't have great taste in clothing. If it was left up to me, I would have left the store with Victorian Summer Lace fabric that would have made our outfits look rather frumpy and its well into Fall, almost Winter. However, Big A was able to find the perfect blue fabric to go with our dresses. Now that we had settled problem number 1, the second problem boldly sat in front of me. See, I had bought this new sewing machine back in May and had not opened the box. Not only did I not know how to use the new sewing machine, I am not really a seamstress and I pretty much taught myself how to sew on humble dad's German grandmother's old German Pfaff.

The Pfaff is in need of repair, it is very heavy and not portable. It doesn't allow for last minute kitchen table sewing as what was presently required. My new Singer sewing machine was about to be put to the test, and All Praises is due to God I was able to learn to use the machine, sew the lace on to the edge of our hijab and   finish the other edges with my limited skills.

Thanks to East Essence and my Beloved Big A's fabulous fabric pick, we were able to look decent on Eid, Alhumdulilah.



Note: I am so happy and thankful, Alhumdulilah, that we were able to capture a beautiful glimpse of Fall before Hurricane Sandy came and blew many of the leaves away.


I do have two daughters and although she was not matching us, I can not leave her out of this Mother-daughter post. Dressing up on Eid is one of the best parts of the holiday and it's the Sunnah!




EID MUBARAK! 


Eid al Adha 2012 Posts
Mother-Daughter Eid
A Full Day- Eid Al Adha 2012
Eid Surprises

10 comments :

  1. This pictures are so very cute. I love them, Mash'Allah. Can you teach me how to sew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MashaAllah, Thanks Najaah! I didn't sew the dresses, just the scarf, but you can come over and take lessons with Sister Aisha, InshaAllah.

      Delete
  2. Adorable, masha'Allaah. Nice job with the hijabs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masha'Allah Thank you! I am learning:)

      Delete
  3. Such lovely photos! My eldest daughter has hair like your youngest! She loves it and hates it - she gets lovely comments about how lovely it is but she hates the fact she can't just brush her hair as it is too curly and tatty! Your matching outfits are so adorable. How old is your eldest girl - she looks like a young woman but I guessed she was younger by previous kids photos you have put on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karima! This Humble Mom has trouble with the upkeep of the hair also, but it is gorgeous!!! We just wash and condition, a great conditioner and brushing it while in the shower works great.

      Delete
  4. I hated that old Pfaff machine! The bobbin thread was always getting tangled up! It belongs in a museum!

    Very nice outfits.

    Love Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Susan. Good ole Pfaff does give trouble, but it is a beauty with German strength, a museum might be appropriate.

      Delete
  5. Love this! How old is Big A, she's taller than you lol. I am not laughing at you but with you, I'm in the same boat over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, but soon she has an inch to go!. . . and she's only 12.

      Delete

Your comments inspire me!

Blogging tips