Monday, October 24, 2011

B is for Buttons- Fall Fun!

I fell in love with this button board and had to make one for Lil A. It looked like such a fun way to practice an important Practical Life Skill. Imagine, I never touched a hot glue gun until 2011, this has been the first year of using it and I now wonder how did I ever live without it.
Bare Tree with acorn dressing around the the borders.
Leaves have been buttoned to matching color button.
This board is mostly felt and glue, the only needle work I did was the buttons and my BeaDazzled effect. I have a fond memory of the Montessori school I went to as a child. We had a lake on the campus with swans, so appropriately we called it Swan Lake. I remember sitting on the lawn facing the lake learning how to draw trees, a skill that definitely helped in cutting out this bare tree. God Willing, Lil A will have such fond memories of learning how to button. I used some leftover photo matboard as the foundation, it will already be set, if she decides to frame it :-)
Bead Dazzled it!
Braided Embroidery Floss as gate.
I got a little silly and made an owl with hot pink feathers and googly eyes, lol.

We also used the buttons from the skill board to make a bouquet of button flowers.

Jar of buttons and florist wire

Wire though first button.

Then back through the other hole

Back view

Second button on florist wire, then twist.

Add as second layer.

Then twist and place in vase.

Lil A has very good hand eye coordination.
Although. making a collage out of Buttons is on the curriculum, Lil A used her Build a Letters to collage on also. Don't forget to pick up your build a letter download here.


This is part of our mini unit studies as we go through the alphabet for our ABC of the Quran adventure. Letter B is represented by BoatBallButtonButterflyBallerinaBridgeBrain & the Quran B is for Bird which tells the story of how God showed Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) His Power by using birds.

7 comments :

  1. What fun with buttons!! I have to admit I have never used a hot glue gun.... I may have to try it one of these times =-)
    Thanks for linking up to Living Life Intentionally Linky Party =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humble Mom, thanks for linking this post to my blog. Yours turned so nice! Love the owl idea and the tree looks so adorable!
    hot glu guns are very useful..don't they? : )
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this feltboard! I need to make one! Love the buttons and the owl! Just found you at the Living Life Intentionally linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies!

    Lol, Patty, I will be linking to your blog alot in the future, you have the best crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love this!! Thank you for sharing.
    Discovering Montessori
    www.theworkplan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your button tree and bouquet of flower buttons are adorable! I'm so glad you linked up with Montessori Monday! I added your link to the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/09/29/montessori-inspired-autumn-leaf-unit/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how cute! It all looks so pretty and colourful. What a lovely activity!

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me!

Blogging tips