Friday, April 8, 2011

A Lesson in Death

Lil A is ready for the funeral & matching with the flowers.
Everyone is essentially a Homeschooler. Learning happens everywhere and all times, even when a person's time on Earth has ended. On April 7, 2011, we buried my beloved Grandmother. She has always been one of my greatest teachers and her death was no exception.
Grandmother still "teaching" grandsons to wait Patiently
for funeral to begin.
Giving is better than receiving. Tread lightly.
She gave away most of her possessions towards the end, understanding that the things of this life will not follow with her. We never know when our life will end, how many things do we have that are a burden to us?
Big A keeping Lil A occupied with Kind words.
Speak only what's important.
After suffering from multiple strokes, she did not say much, but she always said what was most important: the names of loved ones and "I love you". How many things do we say that are really not necessary in the end?
Family is your most important commodity.
Reminder of Death is a reminder of Life.
My children and I watched the Christian movie: The Secret of Jonathan Sperry. The last line in the movie was: "The Bible says it is better to go to a funeral than a feast." The reasoning behind this is the death of our loved ones will make an impression on our hearts and serve as a reminder of what is important in this Life. My Blessed Rasul (Prophet) encouraged Believers to visit the graves as they disenchant them with this world and remind them of the Next (Paradise, InshaAllah).

My wonderful step mom.
Uncle B, her only surviving child and his daughter.

My Grandmother is buried on top of my Dad.
We love and miss our grandmother, but are extremely grateful for the time we had with her.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments inspire me!

Blogging tips